Table of contents
Coursework done at other universities can be counted towards studies at the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences subject to the Guidelines on the Recognition of Academic Achievement.
Please consult the Guidelines on the Recognition of Academic Achievement for details of how to proceed.
- If you are commencing studies at UZH you must submit all coursework from any prior studies that you did not complete for assessment.
- If you are doing coursework as part of a mobility scheme you must come to a recognition arrangement with the relevant study program or programs before commencing your mobility stay.
Guidelines on the Recognition of Academic Achievement
These guidelines govern recognition of prior or external academic achievement for Bachelor's and Master's degree programs at the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences in accordance with §29 of the framework rules governing study in the Bachelor's and Master's degree programs offered by the University of Zurich's Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (of 20 August 2012), §4 of the framework rules governing the cross-faculty Bachelor's degree program and the cross-faculty Master's degree program with two major subjects at the University of Zurich's Faculties of Theology and Arts and Social Sciences (dated 23 October 2006), and §11 of the ordinance on the cross-university Master's degree program in Film Studies at the University of Zurich Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (dated 25 May 2009) as well as the Program Regulation for the Study Programs at the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (general and special sections). The Vice Dean of Studies decides on recognition on the basis of the recommendation of the program coordinators.
1 Basic Principles
Coursework can be recognized provided that
- You did it at a full university (academic achievement from a university of applied sciences cannot be recognized);
- It has not already been counted toward a degree;
- It is appropriate to the academic level;
- It can be transferred to the study programs.
The following will not be recognized:
- Coursework that cannot be transferred to the degree;
- German courses, since a knowledge of German is a basic admission requirement for the University of Zurich (with the exception of the "Wissenschaftlich Schreiben: Schreibwerkstatt; C1–C2" course on scholarly writing).
Language courses offered by the Language Center of the University of Zurich and ETH Zurich
Language courses you have completed at UZH and ETH Zurich are recognized automatically. Grades for coursework you have earned since Spring Semester 2017 will now also be transferred.
Academic Achievement at ETH Zurich
If you want to do coursework at ETH Zurich and have it recognized, please follow the same procedure as for mobility studies.
The following is required for recognition:
A completed and signed Recognition Arrangement; (PDF, 165 KB)
- An official transcript of records showing the coursework (including grades) to be recognized (for coursework as part of your licentiate: a certified summary of academic achievement);
- Any further information on the grading scale from official offices authorized to provide information (International Relations Office, Dean's Office, or other);
- If applicable, documentation on the workload involved in earning credits (if not expressed in ECTS credits);
- Any certified translations necessary, in the Latin alphabet.
Transfer and Conversion of Grade and Credits
- The grading scale (and if applicable the grades) for the coursework to be recognized will be adopted.
- Throughout the faculty grades are converted on a uniform basis using the modified Bavarian formula.
- Credits not specified in ECTS credits will be converted to ECTS credits according to the workload involved. Alongside the recognition arrangement please enclose documentation specifying the workload to be used as the basis of conversion.
- Recognition noted in the transcript of records cannot subsequently be changed.
- Once it has been recognized, academic achievement will not be split up further.
- At both the Bachelor's and Master's level at least 60 ECTS credits must be earned at UZH, divided proportionately over the various study programs.
2 Practical Tips
External or previous academic achievement is basically recognized via the Recognition Arrangement. (PDF, 165 KB) If the academic achievement relates to two different programs, a separate arrangement must be made for each program. Your contacts for this are the academic or mobility advisors for the various study programs. Students receive the original; a copy remains with the academic or mobility advisor. Please arrange for your academic achievement to be recognized as soon as possible in the event of the following:
- In the case of mobility stays, the recognition arrangement ensures that the academic achievement to be recognized is set down before you commence your stay. Any necessary changes can be made by mutual consent and set down in the arrangement.
- If you change university, academic achievement to be recognized for study programs at the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences is set down in the recognition arrangement.
- If you switch from the licentiate to the Bachelor's degree program, the arrangement sets down your academic achievement from the discontinued program that is to be recognized for the Bachelor's degree. Coursework with equivalent content can be recognized. Recognition is in accordance with §57 of the Framework Ordinance. Conversion into ECTS credits is done in accordance with Annex 2 to the Framework Ordinance.
Notice of Recognition
Recognized academic achievement is communicated via the transcript of records. Appeals are subject to the procedures and deadlines specified in the transcript of records. Academic achievement submitted by calendar week 5 or 35 will be notified in the transcript of records for the Fall or Spring Semester respectively. Academic achievement submitted after these dates will be notified in the transcript of records for the following semester.